For my fellow bagaholics, Here are my top 5 iconic handbags…
5) Gucci’s logo bag was introduced in 1973. This fabulous over the shoulder bag is back again this fall for the Gucci 1973 line.
4) The Speedy handbag by Louis Vuitton, first came out in 1930. The Speedy is similar to the Keepall, but in a handbag style. It has one large compartment inside and grab bag handles. It’s available in four sizes. This style of bag is one of the most popular styles not only for Louis Vuitton but for many other design houses.
3) The lady Dior is definitively one of my top classic handbags. In 1995 Dior released their new Dior hand bag line. The first person who became a huge fan of this exclusive handbag was the First Lady of France at the time Madam Chirac. Chirac was also the one who introduce the bag to the legendary late Princess Diana. The bag soon became one of Lady Di’s favorite accessories, showing it off at many events. Just by becoming one of her favorite handbags, the lady Dior became a symbol of class and sophistication. It is rumored that the bag was name after her. I honestly think the rumors are true! Who better that Lady Di, an icon of class and sophistication to be the inspiration to this very elegant bag!
2) The Hermes Birkin bag was designed with the actress Jane Birkin in mind. Jane Birkinwas met the president of Hermes on a plane. He admired her canvas Hermes handbag, similar to the as-yet-undersigned Birkin bag, on her arm, he was inspired to design Birkin another one. Six months later, Jane Birkin was presented with the prototype for the now infamous Hermes Birkin. Jane Birkin herself has acknowledged that the handbag bearing her name is more famous than the actress herself.
1) The 2.55 is based on the quilted coats worn by boys at the race track. Chanel used a running stitch, quilting the bag in a diamond or herringbone pattern. The 2.55 also contains a secret pocket inside the front flap. It is claimed that in her original, Coco Chanel use to hid love letters received from a lover. Another iconic characteristic of this bag is it chain strap. Chanel notices the need for women of society to have their hands free to carry their glass of champagne or reading their theater programmers this is why she added this chain to the bag.